Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

10 New Picture Books for the HO HO Holidays! Part 3

The Christmas books I have reviewed so far are not in any particular order. I just read my way down the happy pile. I did however save these three books for last because I think they speak to the older picture book reader. They are longer, and have more of a school age child's sense of humor about them. I'm not big on age leveling books in general (after all I'm almost 48 and still read picture books for pleasure) but I think you'll understand my recommendation when you read the reviews.


8.Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas by Melanie Watt 

This book is similar to other books in the Scaredy Squirrel series. He is afraid of nearly everything and makes lots of checklists to make sure he is being safe. What is different is the format. It is not the size of a regular picture book and not quite as compact as a chapter book, but somewhere in between. Here is sampling of chapter headings. Building a Sturdy "To Code" Gingerbread House,Setting a Hygienic Dessert Table, and Tinsel Garlands Top Reasons to Stop the Madness. I get such a chuckle from Scaredy Squirrel and I bet you will too!
Book Cover
                                                          reserve Scaredy Squirrel Prepares for Christmas       

9.Santa from Cincinnati by Judie Barrett ill by Kevin Hawkes

The author of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and Maine's own Kevin Hawkes, team up to bring us the story of Santa. Told from the point of view of the red elf himself, this story tells the legend with some new- fangled ideas. We see Santa as a schoolboy wearing a cotton ball mustache and beard and later using a GPS to navigate around the world on Christmas Eve. If you liked The Wicked Big Toddlah by Kevin Hawkes, I'm betting you will enjoy the tale of a young and unusual boy from Cincinnati who grows up to be the beloved toy maker of all!    

                                                               reserve Santa from Cincinnati     


10.The Santa Trap by Jonathan Emmett, ill by Poly Bernatene 

This is not your typical Christmas picture book. Let's start with our main character Bradley Bartleby. He is AWFUL! He is selfish  and mean and insert your least favorite quality here____________. That being said, I found this story hysterical! Bradley is so greedy, he wants EVERYONE'S presents, so he devises a "Santa Trap". (think Home Alone 1) He booby-traps his home with tigers and trapdoors etc, only to end up victim of his own evil plans. You enjoy watching Bradley fall prey to these contraptions, while Santa gets away, leaving Bradley with his least favorite present...socks. Since one of the traps is a guillotine, I suggest you save this for the over 7 crowd. Enjoy!
                                                    
                                                         reserve The Santa Trap


One last word: This has been a fun year for Christmas books. I know we all keep our favorites close to our hearts. The Grinch and I go way back to 1972, and I remember crying the first time I read The Polar Express. I hope you and your children have a picture book that helps you celebrate the holidays. If you haven't found one yet, don't worry.....Turkey Claus doesn't come out until Nov 1. !

 



No comments:

Post a Comment